Career Transitions for the SLPs
May 06, 2021 | 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM ET
The career of an SLP is multi-faceted, with many SLPs transitioning practice settings throughout their career, from schools to private practice, from acute care to skilled nursing, from outpatient to academia. The more challenging transitions occur when an SLP looks to start working with pediatrics after being in an adult practice setting and vice-versa, when a pedi SLP looks to enter into adult clinical practice. Tonight’s speakers are leaders with experience in interviewing and hiring. They will discuss what an SLP should consider when looking to change their clinical practice population, including tips for interviewing and resume-building.
Meredith Finnie, M.S., CCC-SLP
New England Regional Director
Meredith Finnie, M.S., CCC-SLP currently works as the New England Regional Director with EBS Healthcare, where she manages a team of employees and supervises new graduates. She also is an Adjunct Faculty at Regis College. Mrs. Finnie has been an active member of the Massachusetts Speech-Language-Hearing Association for over 16 years, and has held various Board positions, most currently the President. Mrs. Finnie served on ASHA’s Convention Planning Committee for the 2018 convention in Boston.
Financial: Meredith receives a salary from EBS Healthcare and Regis College.
Non-financial: Meredith is donating her honorarium to MSHA. She is a member of ASHA and the president of MSHA.
Jennifer Rucci, MA, CCC-SLP, CDP, RAC-CT
Certified FEES Specialist
Swallowing Diagnostic LLC (SDX), Apple Rehab and Encore Therapy
Jennifer Rucci, MA, CCC-SLP, CDP, RAC-CT is a graduate of the University of Connecticut receiving both Masters (2011) and Bachelor (2009) degrees in Speech Pathology and Communication Disorders. In her tenure as a speech pathologist, Jennifer has worked in nursing homes across New England. In 2012 she became a certified FEES specialist with SDX Dysphagia Experts and continues to perform FEES with the company today. In 2016 Jennifer joined Fusion Rehab Services, a boutique contract therapy company, rising to Vice President of Clinical Development. In that role Jennifer used her certifications as Certified Dementia Practitioner and Certified Resident Assessment Coordinator to help guide policy development and clinical education of PT, OT and Speech Pathology. One of Jennifer’s biggest passions is in student and new graduate development, having supervised over 20 Clinical Fellows and Students during her career.
Financial: Jennifer receives a salary from Swallowing Diagnostic LLC (SDX), Apple Rehab and Encore Therapy. She is receiving an honorarium for this presentation.
Non-financial: Jennifer is the ASHA Stamp for Connecticut. She is a member of ASHA. Jennifer is an elected representative of the Salem Board of Education. She provides education to SLP students at the University of Connecticut and to SLP students at Southern Connecticut State University.
- Participants will identify optimal ways to translate their current skill set to the skills needed for the position they are seeking.
- Participants will understand the role of experience in seeking a change in practice population.
- 6:30-6:40 Speaker introductions, lead into Pediatric portion
- 6:40-6:55 What skills are most important to gaining a pediatric position in lieu of pedi experience?
- 6:55-7:10 How does an interviewee successfully translate their experience with adults to working with peds?
- 7:10-7:25 Tips for interviews & resume writing for a pediatric position
- 7:25-7:35 Pediatric Q&A, lead into adult portion
- 7:35-7:50 What skills are most important to gaining an adult practice position in lieu of adult experience?
- 7:50-8:05 How does an interviewee successfully translate experience with peds to working with adults?
- 8:05-8:20 Tips for interviews & resume writing for an adult-based position
- 8:20-8:25 Adult Q&A
- 8:20-8:30 Evaluations
ASHA requires participation in the CEU Registry to receive CEUs. If you are not part of ASHA’s CEU Registry, the Certificate of Completion will serve as documentation for ASHA CMHs.
This course has been approved for ASHA CEUs.