Q: I have ASHA certification and state licensure, doesn’t that make me a MSHA member?

No. MSHA is the state-level affiliate of ASHA, but MSHA is a separate entity and licensure or certification does not provide MSHA membership. MSHA has no affiliation with the state licensure board, however we will advocate to the board for needs of our members.

Q: I have a lot of fees to pay, why should I be a MSHA member too?

MSHA is your state representative for the field of communication sciences and disorders. We work hard at the state level to advocate for our profession and those we serve. In addition to advocacy, MSHA offers a forum to communicate with other professionals across the state, discounts to continuing education events, and free publicity in our quarterly newsletter for research studies seeking participants.

Q: Where do my membership dues go?

Membership dues provide the executive council with funds to guide advocacy, continuing education events, and other member supports. Currently, funds are primarily being used for a lobbyist to help us pass provisional licensure in Massachusetts. See the State Advocacy tab for more information about this.

State Licensure: Guidelines to Practice Speech Language Pathology and Audiology in Massachusetts

Q. Am I required to have a license?

Yes. The state licensure board (the Board of Registration for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology) sets the requirements for licensure. All practitioners are required to have a license to practice, regardless of their clinical or educational setting. Note that Massachusetts does not currently have provisional licensure for clinical fellows. See the State Advocacy tab to learn more about what

Q. How do I maintain my license?

License holders are required to meet all requirements and obtain 20 hours of continuing education (PDPs) every two years. Note that Massachusetts has specific requirements for qualifying professional development activities, and you are required to maintain the record of this yourself. The renewal date will be your birthday. See this website for more information

Q. As an Audiologist, can I dispense hearing aids?

Yes. Audiologists can dispense hearing aids in the Commonwealth under their Audiology license.

Q. What about assistants?

Massachusetts recently passed legislation requiring licensure board oversight for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology assistants. See the Board of Registration website for regulations about the use and supervision of assistants.

Q. Does Massachusetts have reciprocity for other states?

Yes. See the Board of Registration website for further information.

Q. Does Massachusetts provide provisional licensure?

No. See the Board of Registration website for further information and the State Advocacy tab to see what MSHA is doing to change this.

Q. What are the requirements for practicing in the schools?

You are required to have both a state license and a license from the Department of Education. There is a separate test (Communication and Literacy Skills) and separate requirement for the collection of Professional Development Points (PDPs). CEUs offered by ASHA may or may not be counted toward both the Department of Education and Board of Registration requirements. See the Department of Education website for more information.

Q. What are the requirements for practicing in early intervention?

Speech-Language Pathologists practicing in Early Intervention must hold a state license, or be in their clinical fellowship year. In addition, full-time employees may also obtain the Certified Early Intervention Specialist credential.

Q. Obtaining a License to Practice as a Speech-Language Pathologist or Audiologist in MA

In order to practice in the Commonwealth of MA, regardless of your clinical or educational setting, you must obtain a license from the Division of Professional Licensure, otherwise known as The Board of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology

The information provided below is given as a cursory overview of the process and the requirements. Any questions about individual circumstances or the process should be submitted directly to the Board. This information is subject to change and MSHA is not affiliated with providing or regulating membership. You are urged to visit the Board’s website for further information as needed. To obtain an application form and see other necessary information regarding the Board of Registration in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, go to:

Q: I just finished my Clinical Fellowship. How do I get a state license?

Please note the following important information regarding your application:

  • You must submit a FORM 1 (Clinical Practice Plan) within 30 days of starting your CF position, and any subsequent new position within the time frame of your Clinical Fellowship.
  • You must complete a FORM 2 (Clinical Practice Report) within 30 days of the completion of your CF. A separate FORM 2 should be completed for each site/supervisor.
  • By the end of your CF, when submitting FORM 2, it is anticipated that you have already submitted ALL other documentation This will expedite the process of getting your license. This includes:
    • An ASHA verification that your CCC is processed or pending
    • Results of the praxis exam must be sent to the Board- R7421
    • Copy of official Master’s or AUD transcript
  • You must complete and notarize your application. It is important to use the most updated versions of all forms; refer to the Board’s website for current forms.
  • The cost of a license is $68 as of July 1, 2009.

If you plan to practice in the public schools, you must ALSO have a license from the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). In order to obtain this credential, you must take and pass the MA Teacher Certification Test.

To obtain an application, go to:

To practice in Early Intervention, you must meet the criteria for one of the following:

  • Assistant- no certification required
  • Associate: HS diploma plus a credential that indicates experience with infants and toddlers
  • CEIS: Certified EI Specialist- includes advanced degree and completion of a portfolio or supervised work experience under a CEIS. For more information go to and search for Early Intervention, Levels of Practice.

Licensure related links:

Continuing Education Questions

Q. How many hours are required to renew my state license?

The Massachusetts Board of Registration for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology requires 20 hours of continuing education activity per 2-year license period to maintain your speech-language pathology or audiology licensure. A minimum of 10 of the hours must be within your area of licensure. If you want to maintain licenses in both speech-language pathology and audiology, a minimum of 30 hours of continuing education activity per licensure renewal period (every two years) is required. For professionals maintaining both licenses, a minimum of ten of the total 30 continuing education hours must be completed in the licensee's major area of clinical service delivery and a minimum of five of the continuing education hours must be in the licensee's minor area of clinical service delivery. One hour of credit equals .1 ASHA CEUs, so 20 hours of credit equals 2.0 ASHA CEUs. For individuals with educator licensure by the Department of Education, professional development requires a product/showcase of knowledge upon completion, therefore not all ASHA CEUs are eligible for PDPs.

Q. When does the current sate licensure period end?

The board is slowly transitioning this to be a birthday system. The prior renewal date was January 6, 2018.

Q. Can I carry over hours from one period to the next?

No, you cannot carry over hours to the next licensure period.

Q. How do I maintain information about the activities I have attended?

It is your responsibility for keeping your own records, either personally or through ASHA. You will be required to provide this information to the Licensure Board in the event that you are audited.

You may register with the ASHA continuing education registry for all activities sponsored by providers that offer ASHA CEUs. They will keep track of your hours and print a transcript of all activities attended at your request. If you are not an ASHA member, or did not pay the CE registry fee when you renewed your membership, you can call ASHA at 800-498-2071 or download the form at to enroll.

You may also maintain your own file of CE activities attended. If you keep your own record, you should keep a file with a log of activities and any certificates of attendance or related forms. Please go directly to the MA Board of Registration website for further details on maintaining your own records.

Note that you are also responsible for maintaining your own records for Department of Education licensure. Visit the associated website for more information.

Q. Does MSHA provide transcripts or other information about the activities I’ve attended?

MSHA does not provide transcripts. If you participated in an activity offered for ASHA CEUs with MSHA as the provider organization, we can assist in documenting your attendance at these continuing education events. However, as noted above, this information is also available directly from ASHA and should be documented in your own file.

Q. Who are approved sponsors of Continuing Education Activity?

Accepted sponsors for professional continuing education activities are:

  • ASHA: American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
  • AAA: American Academy of Audiology
  • MSHA: Massachusetts Speech-Language-Hearing Association

Q. Can I use Professional Development Points (PDPs) toward my state licensure renewal?

Yes. The Department of Education Professional Development Points (PDPs) are recognized by the Board as approved continuing education hours.

For further information about CEUs, or applications for CEU co-sponsorship, please call the MSHA office at 781-647-7031 or email You can obtain further information at the MA Board of Registration website:

Please see below for a list of sites and documents that may be resourceful to you:

If you have a publication or a website that you would like to list here please contact

Disclaimer: These links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the Massachusetts Speech-Language Hearing Association of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. The Massachusetts Speech-Language Hearing Association bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.

New to Massachusetts, new the profession, or just looking to get a refresh? The list below details a series of commonly asked questions about SLP/AuD licensure and guidelines.

Vision Statement

The Massachusetts Speech-Language-Hearing Association will be recognized as an authority and resource in the fields of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology by legislative bodies, related professional associations and consumers.

© Massachusetts Speech-Language Hearing Association

Quick Links

Mailing Address

Massachusetts Speech-Language Hearing Association
465 Waverley Oaks Road, Suite 421, Waltham, MA 02452

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software